Friday, June 13, 2008

Baby Tessa Memorial Blood Drive

Above is one of our favorite pictures of Tessa. We call it "playing without my oxygen." It is one of the few pictures we have of her without her nasal canula. It was taken just before Christmas while Nurse Chris was cleaning Tessa's face and Dr. Wimmer was doing an examination. We love it and I can't believe that we have not posted it to the blog before now.
While in the hospital and especially when on ECMO, Tessa required numerous blood transfusions and blood products. She received over 19 transfusions before being placed on ECMO and multiple transfusions per day while on ECMO life support. Nancy and I are both blood donors and our journey with Tessa demonstrated to us what it is like to be on the receiving end of voluntary blood donations. It is very humbling. We are so grateful to the many anonymous blood donors out there whose "gift of life" made Tessa's treatment possible. We are forever indebted and now more than ever it is so important for us to give back by donating blood on a regular basis.

We are excited to be sponsoring an American Red Cross blood drive on June 17th from 1:30-6pm. It is being held at Center United Methodist Church, 6142 Lake Brandt Rd Greensboro, NC 27455. Interested donors can call 790-2421 to schedule an appointment. We invite all of our Greensboro area friends to join us in supporting a great cause as a donor or volunteer on this very special day.

Acts 20:35
I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could participate in the blood drive. Anthony, I want to wish you a happy Father's Day. Although I have never met you, I know that you are a wonderful father - actually, you are much more than that, you are a terrific DADDY. May our Heavenly Father comfort your hearts on this day.

SUNSHINE MOM said...

I wish I could donate! I will when I can. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

I love seeing photos of Tessa. She was one of the prettiest babies I have ever seen. You are very fortunate to have such a wonderful support group behind you and the causes you have represented since Tessa's passing. She was such a treasure and will be remembered fondly always. phwms

Anonymous said...

Nancy and Anthony,
Although we won't be able to make it to NC to donate, we will donate in Little Tessa's honor here in VA. This picture is precious! We think of you both each and everyday and send all our love!
Misti

Anonymous said...

I donated on 4/16/08 here in Virginia and made sure I had pictures of Tessa and showed all of the volunteers and workers at the drive. They were amazed with her fight. I still share this webpage with as many people as I can.
Love you!
Angie

Joya said...

Nancy & Anthony, I too wish I would be able to come to the blood drive on the 17th. Hopefully ya'll will be able to help with another blood drive in the future that we will be able to attend and be able to donate to. Anthony, I know this will be a hard Father's day for you and we will be praying for you. Our heart still goes out to you and Nancy for your loss of you little angel Tessa. All we can do is keep praying and thinking of ya'll often and offering all of our support through this difficult time. If there was any one who deservers to be a daddy it's you! You, Nancy & Tessa, have been such an inspiration to so many people. We love ya'll and hope to see you soon.


Joya, David & Family

Joya said...

I also forgot to mention that this picture of your little angel Tessa is the sweetest most precious picture. We sure miss her so much! Thanks for sharing this picture with us.



Joya, David & Family

Anonymous said...

I just hate that I am unable to donate because of antibiotics!! And if I would have known going to Costa Rica would prevent me from donating; I wouldn't have chosen that spot for vacation! Nancy & Anthony - you two continue to amaze me! How wonderful that you turn your heartache into wonderful acts of kindness to help others..Tessa would be SO VERY PROUD of her Mommy & Daddy...I know I am.
Love to you both - Laura <3

Anonymous said...

As Sept is approaching I find myself thinking about Tessa more and more. She came to us such a small little bundle of humanity and grew to be a smiling happy baby who had nurses clamoring to get her. She passed so many milestones... open crib, nursing, bottle feeding, hearing exam, and entered every heart in every person who cared for her. She left a legacy that will not be forgotten.