Adding the hemofilter to the ECMO circuit today went smoothly. With the hemofilter, they were able to begin extracting excess fluid. Unfortunately, Tessa's blood pressure began dropping. They have adjusted her medications and right now her blood pressure is more stable. Now the hemofilter is only extracting the same amount of fluid as is going in with her medications. They are also giving her sodium bicarbonate to help regulate blood pressure and correct slight acidosis of her blood but this can raise her sodium levels too high. A test of the hemofilter fluid showed that it is also removing sodium which is good at this time.
Tessa is no longer eliminating fluids on her own. The addition of the hemofilter has caused her kidneys to stop producing urine. A kidney specialist evaluated Tessa earlier today and will be checking in on her frequently. They are evaluating her blood chemistry and have sent a blood sample to the lab for a BMP(basal metabolic panel). This will determine if and when dialysis is needed.
Again today, Tessa has received several blood transfusions of blood products including 45ml of red blood cells, 45ml of platelets and 45ml of cryo. She also gets albumin, a blood protein that adds volume and pulls fluid into the blood vessels from the surrounding tissue.
All in all, we have had a good day. Despite some ups and downs, God has brought us peace. We pray that she has a good night. We pray for God's guidance and continuing healing.
Mark 4:39
And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Smooth Transition
at
9:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
Tessa is a fighter and will soon get through this. The three of you are in our prayers. We are constantly thinking about you and praying for her strength. Thanks for the updates.
Baby Joey's family
I'm so glad there was a smooth transition. Good night sweet little Tessa. I hope you are resting comfortably and I hope your Mommy and Daddy are able to get some rest tonight. I pray for and think about you constantly. I hope that the change the Dr's made today will aid more in your recovery.
Lots of love
Shelly
Sleep well, sweetheart. God is watching over you throughout the night. You and Mommy and Daddy are in our constant prayers.
We are glad to hear that it was a smooth transition today. We hope that Tessa will not have to go on dialysis. We hope ya'll will have a restful night and that Tessa will remain stable throughout the night. Please know ya'll are in our constant thoughts and prayers. Tessa, please get good rest tonight sweetheart. You are such a great fighter. You have won so many hearts over. We send hugs and kisses your way. Good night precious baby.
Joya, David & Family
Baby Tessa,
You have had a trying day along with Mommy and Daddy. I hope you and they have a restful and peaceful night.
GRACE AND PEACE BE MULTIPLIED UNTO YOU THROUGH THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD, AND OF JESUS OUR LORD. II Peter 1:2 KJV
Just wanted to let know know that I am thinking of all of you and keeping you in my prayers.
Toni
WHOG-NICU
I'm so glad the transition went smoothly. I hope You were able to get some rest last night.
I love Ya'll and will not stop praying!!
Patty
Thank you Lord for the answered prayers. Thank you that you are the author and perfecter of our faith. I ask today that you bless Tessa and her parents with exactly what you know they need.
Amen
Just wanted to let you know that you're in my prayers constantly. Hopefully Tessa had a restful night. Fight Tessa Fight!
Love,
Dorie
Glad that the transition went well.
We are still praying. Tessa is a strong little girl and a fighter with the help and the love of God she will be fine. I hope you two will be able to get some rest.
love
David Kay Heather and MaKayla
And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me and that thou wouldest keep me from evil that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested
1Chronicles 4:10
The righteous cry and the Lord heareth and delivereth them out of all their troubles. Psalms 34:17
God bless you 3.
Love
Tracy
Good morning Sunshine...we are glad to hear the transition went well.....hope you have a peaceful and restful day...tell mommy & daddy to make sure they get some rest cause they need to keep up their strength for you...
hugs & kisses xxxoooxxx
love aunt gogo
We hope Tessa has another stable day today and we are praying for further improvement.
Love,
Ellen & Dean
We are glad to hear that she has remained stable through this transition. I hope that the blood transfusions will provide her with more strength so that she can continue the healing process. I hope that you three were able to get some rest last night. Our prayers continue, day and night, night and day! "Stay strong Little Tessa, stay strong! We love you!" I'm sure God will continue his work in her care and in mommy and daddy's hearts! Sending all our love, thoughts, prayers, hugs, and kisses!
Misti
Continued prayers and thoughts of the three of you. You are under Gods care and in his hands. He will never forsake you nor leave you, His grace is sufficient for all things.
Love and Hugs,
Rose
Tessa.Tessa. Tessa.You are really something little baby girl. Dr. Hines knows you inside and out. Iwant you to be well. I pray for you and sing to you alot.I love you with all my heart.
Post a Comment