Saturday, October 20, 2007

Touch me

As we left the hospital this evening, Tessa looked so comfortable in her bed with her arm up by her face. It was great to see. Often when she gets agitated, we can place our hand across her to calm her down. Just as God touches our lives and provides us comfort, a touch is all she needs.
Tessa has fared very well today. They have decreased her fluid intake and she did receive another blood transfusion. This seemed to help her. More blood means that there is more hemoglobin in her system to carry oxygen. She did have some oxygen desaturations this morning but her oxygen levels, blood gases, and blood sugar were great most of the day. At this time, they have no plan to immediately resume her feedings, place her on any additional medication, or remove her from the ventilator.
We did talk to the doctor today about her PDA (Patent Ductus Arteriosus). They want this artery that sends extra blood to the lungs while the baby is still inside the womb to close and go away. This normally happens on it's own during childbirth. Tessa was given medication shortly after birth to close it but it opened back up. At this point, medication will no longer work to close the artery. It can close on its own or it can require surgery in which a small metal clamp is used to close the artery.
The doctors will probably order another echocardiogram on Monday to check the status of the PDA. If it has not closed, they will probably order surgery where a small incision is made between her ribs and a clamp is inserted on this artery near her heart. They do not do this surgery at Women's Hospital so Tessa would be transferred early next week to Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem for the surgery and then transferred back after a few days of recovery.
The thought of surgery on our little girl is very upsetting but we know that God is in control. He chooses to heal our bodies using a variety of means...including surgery. We also know that he can work to close this artery before surgery is required. We place Tessa's needs in God's hands and we pray for wisdom for the doctors in deciding the proper course of treatment.

John 14:1
Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning!
Just wanted to let ya'll know I wont be able to check in for a few days, I'm going to UVA to be with Aunt Marylou for a procedure she is having done. (please pray for her)
Tessa stole Mom and Dad's hearts!!! They can't stop talking about her.
I will pray that God heals Tessa's heart before surgery is required.
I'll be in touch by phone for the next few days.
Love you all!
Patty

Anonymous said...

Tessa has stolen everyones heart - I pray also that her lil heart heals before surgery, but if not, I know it will be hard on you all but God will bring her through this. Please know that we continue to pray for her every minute of every day. You both take care of yourselves.

Love to all,
Dorie I

Anonymous said...

Continuing to check in on little Tessa and praying for God's healing touch. I'm also praying for the peace which passes understanding for her dear parents.

Anonymous said...

Hey Anthony, Nancy and Tessa!
I've been keeping up through Aimee and the website. I have also been praying and giving thanks for your faith. Surely you will be rewarded for your faithfulness and constant, steadfast praise! You set the bar mighty high as winesses and parents!

Terri

Anonymous said...

Hello Nancy, Anthony and Baby Tessa....you are in our thoughts and prayers.
A quick moment to introduce myself as Paul Owens girlfriend (Shelley) and I'm sending this note on behalf of Paul as he still has no clue how to use the computer! :)
Glad to hear you and Tessa are gaining strength each day! Keep your faith and hope! We will you all in our prayers! Take care!

*LeahBateman* said...

aww- this is SO sweet.
just letting y'all know that you 3 are in my prayers.
luv ya!
LEAH :)