Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Steroids

Tessa does seem to be feeling better today. God works miracles for her every day. Her respiratory secretions are less, the antibiotics are working and she is getting breast milk again. We believe all of these things serve to make her more comfortable.
Although she is feeling better, Tessa still needs the ventilator. Her carbon dioxide levels in her blood are better but are still elevated. It is still necessary to give her the bronchial dialators to keep her lungs open and she is still prone to shallow breathing and oxygen desaturations. Suctioning her ventilator tube frequently seems to help with the oxygen desaturations.
The neonatologist Dr. Carlos came and spoke with us today about putting Tessa on steroids to help her lungs heal and decrease inflammation. Steroids can delay developmental progress but chronic lung issues can do the same. They use steroids cautiously with small babies and would like to find the smallest dose possible that still yields a positive effect. They increased Tessa's feedings today to 13ml every 3 hours and will continue to increase her milk by 3ml every 8 hours if she does well. Having gone 5 days without milk, she has to be hungry. Her weight last night was 4lb 8oz.
Dr. Young examined her eyes again today for the first time after surgery. We have not yet received his report but he may want Dr. Spencer to re-examine her eyes also. This information has us concerned so we anxiously await his comments. Tessa opened her eyes again today and spent some time looking at mommy and daddy while they talked to her. God has given her beautiful eyes and there is no doubt that he will see her through the rest of her recovery.

Proverbs 23:26
My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so glad that Tessa is doing better. Please know you both and Tessa are in our prayers. She is a fighter and we are sure she will overcome this becoming even stronger.

Baby Joey's family

Anonymous said...

We are glad to hear that Tessa is doing better today. She is now and will always be in our prayers. She will soon be well and at home. Take care of yourselves. She needs you both to stay well to. May God Bless You All!!
Love and Prayers

Baby MaKayla's family
(Heather, Kay and David)

Anonymous said...

We are so glad Tessa is doing better. It seems she came a long way since last week. We Thank God for taking care of her. We pray for Tessa, her parents and her caregivers. I still believe she will be fine. It's good she getting milk again, I'm sure that will strengthen her as well as everytime Mommy & Daddy come in and show her their love. I hope this day will give you more encouraging news about Tessa. God bless you always. We Love You!
Great Mawmaw, Auntie & Uncle

Shelly Arthur said...

I'm so glad Tessa was feeling better yesterday. Hopefully the steroids work well and get those lungs opened up. I'm sure she'll do fine and I know she can't wait to get those bottles of milk again.

Love
Shelly

Anonymous said...

I am happy to hear things are progressing well! She truly is a fighter! We are praying for you all! Sending all our love!
Misti

Anonymous said...

Good morning! I am so glad to hear that Tessa is doing better. I pray that the steriods will work and get her lungs back to how they need to be. She has overcome all of the obstacles thrown her way in past and she will continue to do so. I pray for good news from the eye doctor. I hope that the 3 of you had a restful night. Keep up the good work Tessa! Lots of thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Love you guys,
Melissa

Ellen said...

So happy to hear that Tessa is doing better.

You always remain in our thoughts and prayers.

Ellen & Dean

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Tessa is doing better. As you know, she is a fighter and I'm sure she will overcome this. Please know that I'm keeping all of you in my prayers.

Love,
Dorie

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your call. Thank you for your support and encouragement. We are praying for you guys all the time. Miss you guys.

Toni and Chad

Joya said...

We're so glad to hear that Little Tessa is doing better. She has definately gone through so much since she has been born but she is such a trooper and a fighter! She has surely stolen lots of heart.(I know she would be surprised at how many people know her, try to keep up with her progress and pray for her everyday) I can't wait till she's old enough to understand how much she has overcome and how many people love her! We only have ya'll to thank Nancy & Anthony for letting us into your lives.Thank you so much for taking the time to get to know us( and other people) and taking time out of your schedules to talk to us when we were in the hospital there with Kayden. Ya'll will never know how much of a blessing ya'll were to us and I'm sure other people would say the same thing. May the Lord bless all 3 of ya'll! Going back to Tessa, we're sorry to hear that she has to be put on steroids, but the Lord knows best and he knows what he's doing. As far as the eye doctor is concerned, don't worry he probably hasn't had time to get with ya'll yet. We are hopeful that everything is ok. We continue to think of ya'll daily and pray for ya'll. Tessa, keep eating and getting better. We love ya'll!

Joya, David & Family

Anonymous said...

Jeremiah 29:11 assures us of God's good plan for us for hope and not disaster. God already knows the end to Tessa's story. He already knows about her eyes, and about the steroids, about it all. We know we trust Him to bring us through it.