As a preemie, Tessa actually has two birthdays. First will always be September 29th but today is her due date and marks the beginning of her gestational adjusted age. Today's date is used when determining the appropriate time for developmental functions like crawling, walking and talking. We can't wait until we get to the point of celebrating these once in a lifetime milestones.
Tessa's condition has been stable today and we are thankful. She is getting morphine and midazolam(Versed) for sedation. They did have a problem today with the ECMO oxygenator and had to switch it out for a new one. This is a setback but hopefully a minor one. They primed a new oxygenator and switched it out in less than 60 seconds. Even still, this change to the circuit caused a rise in Tessa's lactic acid level. They are monitoring it and this level should decrease over the next few hours. Her oxygen saturation is now in the mid 90s which is great.
Even though they are allowing Tessa's lungs to rest, they want to keep her other systems working. Today they inserted a transpyloric feeding tube bypassing her stomach and resumed her feedings. She is getting 2ml per hour of "mommy's milk." Their goal is to increase her feedings to 16ml per hour and completely remove the hyperale liquid nutrition from the circuit.
It makes mommy and daddy very happy that Tessa is feeding again. God provides us hope and encouragement in so many ways. We continue to pray for Tessa and we appreciate the many prayers of everyone supporting us. It means so much.
Psalm 71:14
But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more.
Monday, January 14, 2008
Due Date
at
6:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

21 comments:
It was great to read this update before going to bed for the night. I hope you two are able to get some much needed rest. Tessa is continuously in my thoughts. Not a minute goes by that I don't think about her wonder how she is doing. As I do her Mommy and Daddy. Little Tessa is such a fighter. Celebrating all the milestones is going to be great.
Lots of love and wishing you a peaceful night.
Shelly
I am a friend of Page Doyle's from Virginia. As a Peds/Nicu Respiratory Therapist, I understand the seriousness of the situation. As a believer, I know that our God is able! He is the great physician and healer and I join with you in believing for Tessa's complete healing. You all are a testimony to so many to the power of prayer and faith!
You 3 are in my prayers!
Jeanne Price
I loved the sign - it was awesome! I too appreciate the constant updates that you provide to those of us that cant physically be there by your side. We are with you in spirit. Anthony and Nancy your strong faith continues to amaze me on a daily basis. We can all learn so much from you. What an amazing experience it will be when you can someday show Tessa all of the love and support that she had in the first months of her life. God continues to hold Tessa in his hands and he will heal her and give you the strength that you need to be there for her. I continue to pray for your family. God Bless!
Love you guys,
Melissa
Happy Birthday, Tessa! Wishing you a long and healthy life with your loving mom and dad.
Mary Lu
Tessa is so blessed to have such an awesome mommy and daddy! I am glad to read some good news before heading off to bed. Remember that God is carrying the three of you through this difficult time. We all love you! Sleep well, Tessa . . . and Mommy and Daddy!
:)
Brandey
I agree with Shelly that it was great to read this update before retiring for the night.
Lots of love your way, Tessa, Mommy and Daddy,
Bev
Even a tiny bit of good news is encouraging. Thank you for keeping us posted. Prayers still being said from our groups all over the United States.
WEW
First thing I do every morning and last thing I do before going to bed is check Tessa's blog. I'm thankful in prayer when the news is good and pray harder when the news is not so good.
Rest easy tonight Mommy, Daddy and Tessa.
Love you all!
Ellen
Happy "due date" Birthday Tessa! Tomorrow is a new day, and the next, and the next... Keep fighting little girl! You are all in my thoughts constantly. I hope you all have a restful night.
love and prayers,
Alix
Anthony you always thank ALL OF US for encouraging you guys. I don't think you have any idea what a blessing and encouragement YOU GUYS are to ALL OF US!! Thank You!!!!!!
I'm praying!
Patty
Happy Birthday Tessa!!
Now you're ready to be here. It's time to be healthy and strong. Soon you'll be home with Mommy and Daddy and the fun stuff will begin. God bless!!
Karla
I'm with Ellen....its the first thing I do in the morning and the last thing I do before I go to bed...(unfornately my home computer is acting up) so I can't wait to get to work....I get so many comments at work about the way you write Anthony and how someday you should try to get this published into a short story book...this would be a "priceless piece" for Tessa to know how much her parents and everyone else has prayed for her and sent wishes..
love ya....
aunt gogo
I am so happy to read the positive news this morning. I'm glad everyone was able to get some rest. Happy Birthday Little Tessa, you have so many fans and we are all cheering you on every day! Nancy and Anthony we continue in our prayers. We know God will guide this healing process and Little Tessa will soon be feeling much better. We are praying for peace for all 3 of you. Sending all our thoughts, prayers and love!
Enjoy this "special" day with your daughter!
Love!
Misti and the crew
Tessa definitely has a huge cheering section. God's word is spreading and it is a great testament to his love for everyone to come together in prayer for your family.
Best wishes for a good day.
My prayer tody is based on Ephesians3:20 "God can do more than I ask or imagine." Heavenly Father, Please forgive us for doubting Your promises. "YOU CAN DO MORE THAN WE ASK OR IMAGINE." Help us to keep asking for big, big things because "YOU CAN DO MORE THAN WE ASK OR IMAGINE." Even when our situation looks scary or hopeless, "YOU CAN DO MORE THAN WE ASK OR IMAGINE." Thank you for being a God who cares. "YOU CAN DO MORE THAN WE ASK OR IMAGINE." Hear our prayers today God, for little things and for big things. "YOU CAN DO MORE THAN WE ASK OR IMAGINE." We know that even now a miracle might be knocking on the door. "YOU CAN DO MORE THAN WE ASK OR IMAGINE." We believe, Lord, Help us look for it today because "YOU CAN DO MORE THAN WE ASK OR IMAGINE." In Jesus Name. Amen I am praying and believing for Tessa.
This is wonderful to hear that she is feeding again. Thank you so much for the updates. Everyone at work is praying for all of you. We miss the three of you.
Love, Hugs,
Rose
I just was thinking about how much spiritual strength I have gotten from Tessa's strength. She is truly an amazing baby. May she continue in this strength given by God alone. She WILL be returned to perfect health. This is my hope, my prayer and my belief.
God give you, Anthony and Nancy, peace, comfort and rest.
I'm glad to see little Tessas oxygenation improving. I miss all three of you but I know Tessa is where she needs to be to get the treatment to improve her oxygenation and to remove her from the ventilator. The sign "GET WELL SOON" says it all. I will rejoice with you as little Tessa improves and crosses every hurdle. I know you are overwhelmed and tired, just remember GOD is with you now more than ever and your faith will pull you through this. Tessa is so lucky to have parents like the two of you with such a strong faith and belief system. My family prays for your family multiple times a day.
Keep the faith,
Michele
Your "room with a view" reminds me of the song "How Great Thou Art" which reminds me that God is ever vigilant in little Tessa"s room ,too, and that there is nothing too hard for him. Tessa is in my heart and in my prayers. Cara
I'm so very thankful that Tessa's condition has stabilized. We'll take all the good news we can get! I think of the three of you constantly and you are always in my prayers. I can't even imagine all the mental and physical stress that you have been under. Hang in there and please take good care of yourselves. You have so many family and friends praying for your family. Little Tessa is such a brave little girl.
Love,
Nancy S.
I am with the others who have commented about ya'll thanking us for our prayers and encouragement. Anthony & Nancy, ya'll don't realize how much of an inspiration and encouragement you've been to alot of people. We're sorry we can't do more for ya'll than to just think of ya'll and pray for ya'll. We just thank ya'll that ya'll have allowed us to come into your lives and share the ups and downs with you. This has sure been a learning experience. We are glad to know that Tessa has made it all the way to her due date with God's help. We know that she is a fighter and has gone through so much. We will keep ya'll in our thoughts and prayers daily. Tessa, just keep on trying to rest and get better soon. We love ya'll.
Joya, David & Family
Post a Comment