Thursday, November 8, 2007

Showing Off

God has truly blessed us with a beautiful little girl. We just love showing her off. Nurse Chris decided to briefly remove the CPAP and check Tessa's skin on her face. Mommy was poised and ready with the camera. Great job getting a picture, mom!
Tessa had another very good day. She experienced a few desats (oxygen desasturations) this evening but this seemed to be because she was holding her mouth open which decreases the effectiveness of the CPAP. Keeping her pacifier in her mouth seemed to solve the problem.
We did not hear any results from the cranial ultrasound today so we are still waiting. We were told today that Tessa has a condition called osteopenia which is not uncommon in premature infants. Osteopenia is a decrease in the amount of calcium and phosphorus in the bone. This can cause bones to be weak and brittle, and increases the risk for fractures. After Tessa gets up to full feedings, they will begin to fortify her milk to help strengthen her bones. In the meantime, she has a sign by her bed that says....."Handle me gently, please."
She is now receiving feedings at 1.9cc per hour for a total of nine teaspoons per day. This is a big improvement from just one teaspoon per day a few days ago and we continue to praise God from whom all blessings flow.

Isaiah 25:1
O Lord, thou art my God; I will exalt thee, I will praise thy name; for thou hast done wonderful things; thy counsels of old are faithfulness and truth.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! I love that picture!! Tessa is beautiful just like her mommy.
Anthony is the condition with her bones something that will get better as she gets more calcium?
Each new update helps us to know exactly how to pray. You're doing a great job!
Love ya'll
Patty

Anonymous said...

Nancy that is an awesome photograph. It is such a delight to see her beautiful face.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised there even needs to be a sign. Who wouldn't handle Tesse gentle with how little she is. I'm glad to hear everything is going well. Keep eating Tessa!

Anonymous said...

What a great picture! I'm so happy to hear about the increased feedings, a sure sign she is doing better. Our prayers remain with you all!
Lots of love!
Misti

Ellen said...

What a little cutie!!! How much does she weigh?

We love the pictures!!!

Ellen & Dean

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful little girl.

Brandey

Joya said...

Thanks for sharing that precious with us Nancy? I'm sorry to hear about Tessa having osteopenia. Anthony & Nancy, does the doctors say that that will eventually go away and when Tessa gets bigger she won't have that condition anymore or will she have to be careful for awhile? I hope it's something that will soon clear up! Tessa, you'll just have to keep eating and gaining weight pretty girl! I'm sure that everyone is so careful with you anyway because you're so special! We're praying for you!