Sunday, November 18, 2007

Reflux

Tessa continues to do well and we appreciate the continuing prayers on her behalf. She slept most of the day today but appeared somewhat uncomfortable later in the day. It was diagnosed that Tessa has a problem with stomach reflux which is common in premature infants. Her bradycardia has continued and it could be caused in part by the stomach reflux. As a result, the nurse inserted a transpyloric feeding tube which bypasses the stomach. Tessa then had a x-ray to check for proper placement of the tube. This should help with the reflux.
Unfortunately, Tessa decided that she did not like the tube in her mouth so she began pulling it out which changed the placement of the tube. Her stomach began looking puffy indicating incorrect placement so the nurse practitioner suspended her feeding for an hour or so this evening. Afterwards, they reinserted the tube in her nose and she seemed to like it better. Another x-ray was required to check proper placement. Afterwards, Tessa and daddy enjoyed some kangaroo care time which was very therapeutic and calming for both of them.
Another method of dealing with the bradycardia is to slightly increase the dose of caffeine. This may be an option if the doctors do not see a difference once the stomach reflux is under control. Tessa is progressing forward but still has some hurdles to overcome. Continue in prayer as we know God listens and answers our every need.

Philippians 4:19
But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning!
I'll be praying about Tessa's eye exam, her reflux problem and the bradycardia. Anthony, your updates are always so detailed which helps all of us know how to pray.Thank-You!
It's amazing to me how Tessa seems to be more developed in each new picture.
I'm giving thanks with every prayer I say!
Love Ya'll
Patty

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Woodyard Family,
Although I have been out of town all weekend I have been following up on Tessa and wow this morning's I pulled up the blog and saw this beautiful picture of Tessa. Thank you for the updates and the great pics of little Tessa (and daddy is cute too). Happy Monday..
Love ya'll
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Tessa looks so cute and relaxed in yours and Anthonys arms. She knows her mommy and daddy. She looks like she is growing so much. She is a miracle baby. God bless all 3 of you.

Love
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Good morning! I love the latest pictures of Tessa. She is so adorable. I will be praying for good results from the eye exam and for the reflux. God will continue to answer prayers. Glad to hear that Nancy's appt went well. Lots of thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Love you guys,
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Good morning to all! This is a beautiful picture of little Tessa! She seems more alert and it looks like she is growing with each new picture. Our prayers continue each day! Thank you so much for keeping us up to date. Enjoy every moment and know that soon she will be home sleeping in her own little bed! God Bless all of you! We are giving many thanks this Thanksgiving for your little miracle! Sending all our love!
Misti

Anonymous said...

Praying about this latest hurdle. God bless each of you!

Anonymous said...

Oh....what an adorable picture of sweet Tessa on this Monday morning....It brightens my day.
I hope this week brings more good news and that she'll continue to gain weight. Special prayers are sent your way on this Thanksgiving week.

All my love
Yvette

*LeahBateman* said...

Tessa is SO beautiful!!
Keeping you 3 in my prayers.
Have a lovely thanksgiving!
=) LEAH

Joya said...

I'm sorry to hear about Little Tessa having a problem with reflux. We are having that same problem with Kayden. They just put him on some medicine to see if it will help. I know Tessa's is probably a little different since she is so little. Also, we're sorry to hear that Tessa is having a problem with her bradycardia. We hope that she will continue to do good. Tessa, be good and keep growing for everyone. We're praying for you and your parents.

David & Joya

Joya said...

P.S. I really like this photo of Tessa.( She is so cute and precious in every picture but this one is one of my favorites because it is so up close where we can see her pretty little face really close.) Nancy, I wanted to let you know that I'm glad everything turned out ok at the doctor.

Joya

Anonymous said...

Tessa will continue to be surrounded with prayers for her hurdles and prayers of thanksgiving!