Friday, November 30, 2007

Loving the "Binkie"


Tessa had a great day today. Friday always used to be the day when things seemed to go wrong but not anymore. Tessa is progressing so well and is beginning to love her pacifier. Mom and Tessa have been nuzzling and we are confident that she will be nursing before too long.
This evening, friends Judy and Grace surprised us with a visit from Northern Virginia. We did not even know that they were coming! This was a very special surprise. It is wonderful to have them here.
Today the doctors decided to remove the transpyloric feeding tube and replace it with a regular feeding tube going into Tessa's stomach through her mouth rather than through her nose. She is no longer on continuous feedings but instead receives 21ml of milk over a two hour period that is given every three hours. Because she no longer has the transpyloric tube, she is no longer on Zantac for reflux.
Tessa's bradycardia has also seemed to improve today. She received an extra dose of caffeine yesterday but it did not seem to decrease the frequency of the bradycardia. Today she no longer has the feeding tube through her nose and she is no longer getting atrovent through the inhaler for her lungs. This may be helping the bradycardia. Time will tell. God has given these doctors great understanding of how to address the various challenges that arise. Each baby is unique and responds differently to different forms of treatment. The solution to Tessa's bradycardia is on the way.

2 Timothy 2:7
Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

8 comments:

Ellen said...

Love the picture! And of course, she has a purple passie!! She's being good cause she knows Santa is watching!!!

Love to you all,
Ellen & Dean

Anonymous said...

She does look more alert in this picture and not sleepy like the last one. She seems to like her binkie also. Glad everything is going well. Can't wait until she starts getting fed but not through the tube.
Love you all!
Angie

Anonymous said...

We all gathered around the computer this morning smilimg and laughing at how adorable she is.Her pacifier looks soo big! Looking at Tessa and hearing the good news always brightens my day! I know the two of you must be getting happier by the minute.

Love ya'll and I cant wait to meet Tessa in person.
P

Anonymous said...

What a great picture! She is even holding the pacifier with her hand! She looks like she is really growing and filling out. Glad to hear that things are improving so well! She is really growing! WOW!! Enjoy lots of snuggling and nuzzling time together this weekend! Get lots of rest too! You all remain in our prayers! Lots of love!
Misti

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the picture of her binkie. I am glad to hear Tessa is progressing so well.

Brandey

Shelly Arthur said...

Hi guys. So glad Tessa is doing so well. My work fire-walled some things so I can not view the pics or leave messages, but I can at least check to see what you wrote. I can't believe how big she's getting and it will be awesome when she can finally nurse. It's an awesome bond and I know Nancy and Tessa will both love it!

Hope to talk to you soon.

Love
Shelly

Auntie gogo said...

WOW....I love the picture.....nice little belly shot....she is filling out just right....the pacifier looks bigger than she is....glad to hear Tessa is doing well...hope you three have a great family bonding day....love and miss ya..
love aunt gogo

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy and Anthony, So happy to see Tessa so beautiful and so content with her "binkie". Can't wait to hear that she is nursing. That will be a very special time for you, Nancy, and I am so happy to hear so much good news.

Love to all
Bev